Friday, July 18, 2008

Oh, to RANT!

Recently, my darling brother-in-law decided to "rant" about Mothers' who blog about their children? Ironic, isn't it! Quite comical to the fact that, Adam loves sports, therefore has "Adam's Sports Blog"... His wife, Becky, loves being "domestic", therefore, has a "Project Domestication" blog... Then, they have a blog about themselves, which tells us about their day to day life? I, Jen, a mother and a wife, who loves my husband and my children immensely, therefore, have a blog entitled "The Carpenter Family".... I know, I know, but seriously, for all this is worth, here are my two cents! We blog about our kids, point is, that is what our life is about, and that is what it boils down to. I go EVERYWHERE with my kids, we do EVERYTHING together, my experiences are with them. I want to remember the great things they do, the things they say, and what we actually did while they were small enough to LOVE being with me, and think I am still FUN AND COOL!!! As for my husband, he could care less about blogging. He rarely reads anyone's blog, he only reads ours because that is where I try to post the things that he misses out on day to day while he is at work... So Adam, when you do become a Father, and are working out of town or late nights, I hope Becky constantly blogs about your little ones, because you will want to know every last detail, right down to the fact, that your child finally went poop on the potty, or that your 8 year old just told you the most inappropriate joke, thinking it was funny only because he didn't understand it at all!

As for me and my lost identity, I haven't truly lost "Jen", I am just "Mom" ninety percent of the time, that "Jen" doesn't surface as much as she would like to. Right now, my life isn't just about me or just about Bry. It is about the 3 wonderful kids, I am privileged to take care of. So if you feel like I've lost my identity, you will be hearing more about me, just not today!

3 comments:

Adam said...

Can't argue with that. Keep up the good work, Jen.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

As great as the written word is, no matter what you write, everyone interprets things differently and most importantly not how the writer usually means it to be.

So let’s break down to the key messages of his post, whether or not you and I agree with it

1) Adam yes, is very sick of what he calls “baby blogs.” He does in fact love kids and enjoys family updates. After all, blogs are keeping us connected, right? But please read his words again, “The problem is, though, when you write exclusively about your babies…”
He’s just saying he would like variety.

2) He’s not saying the authors of these “baby blogs” have lost their identity. He’s just saying it doesn’t have a strong presence on their blog, thus giving him the impression it is “lost” or hidden behind posts about children.

3) He would like to hear more from the males in our direct blogging network. Whether or not anyone’s spouses have this interest, he would still love to see posts from them. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

Obviously it’s the blog author’s choice of what to post on their blog. FYI: Of course I’ll be blogging about my children. Maybe not about every action figure they played with that day…but I will be blogging. And of course I’ll tell my husband what he missed during the day, maybe not via blog perchance inperson…but he will know.

Anyway, hope this brings some clarification and remember, the post wasn’t pointed right at you. In fact it wasn’t point towards anyone in specific.

And trust me; you still maintain the same identity you had before you had kids. You are still Jen.

megship said...

Well said, Jen. I do feel sometimes like I have lost my identity, until I realize that, indeed, being a mom is the best part of my identity. I can understand if I take myself back to when I didn't have kids, but now I just really want my parents and out-of-state siblings to be able to see my kids grow up. That is the only reason for my blog.

It is about time you posted some new stuff!!! Woo hoo! Jens back!